This course is suitable for GDC Registered Dental Nurses who work with patients requiring fixed and removable orthodontic treatment. Please note we do not accept applications from dental nurses who are registered but not qualified. Proof of qualification will be required.
The course fee is £786.00 including exam fee and VAT at 20%.
If you decide to take the Award in Dental Impression Taking course as well, then the full fee for both courses is £890.00 including exam fee and VAT at 20%. Please contact us if you would like to select this combination of courses.
For the course syllabus, click here: (PDF)
The course will cover:
- Types of orthodontic treatment (Fixed & Removable)
- Orthodontic records
- Clinical photography
- Interdisciplinary care
- Oral Health Education
- Optional additional module in impression taking available
By the end of this course dental nurses will be able to:
- State aims, limitations, risk and benefits or orthodontic treatment
- Provide appropriate Oral Health Instructions
- Prepare patients for and take clinical photographs
- Demonstrate competence in the taking and casting of alginate impressions
- Demonstrate competence in assisting with the treatment of patients undergoing orthodontic treatment through the completion of a Record of Competence.
- GDC Registration.
- Access to 50 orthodontic cases including a minimum of 10 fixed, 10 removable and 5 functional
- Self motivation
- Supportive employer who will supervise you in your workplace
- 12 impression cases (if undertaking additional unit)
To gain the qualification you will need:
- Successful completion of NEBDN Record of Competence which includes the compilation of 2×2000 word case studies
- Achieve pass mark in the NEBDN written examination
If you are undertaking the separate Impression Taking modules, then you will also need to submit a separate Record of Competence for this.
Record of Competence – Certificate in Orthodontic Nursing
This is designed to provide a record of activities completed to facilitate specific learning experience. To enable you to complete your record of experience you must:
Complete Log sheets for a variety of orthodontic patients
Complete TWO case studies of approximately 2000 words
Evidence of Competence. Complete assessment sheets for:
- Clinical Photography
- Cephalometric tracing, Digitisation and Measurement
- Taking and Handling of Impressions
- Casting of models
- Fitting and Adjustments of Orthodontic Appliances
The Record of competence will need to be completed and submitted to the exam board three months before the examination.
The exam is held twice a year in March and September and lasts 90 minutes. The examination for this course is provided by the NEBDN.